Sunday, September 9, 2018

Using 'host' while Bootstrapping Calm

I've been in the process of bootstrapping Calm (a new app I'm building out as part of my side hustle). Every time I set up a new project from scratch, I'm reminded of those things that I do only very rarely. Setting up the VM, nginx, ssh, firewalls... all of these are things I do rarely in comparison to the day to day development work that I do.

I'm always pleased to find a new small utility or tool along the way. Today I found the host command for verifying that the dns servers that I'm hitting from my house have the updated name servers I just adjusted with my domain registrar. It's an alternative to nslookup, and gives some really useful information.

For my needs, the following did the trick

host -t NS getcalm.io

The -t NS piece tells host to query for name servers, which was just the piece I needed. And yes, I was pleased to find that the new name servers had already propagated.

getcalm.io name server ns3.digitalocean.com.
getcalm.io name server ns1.digitalocean.com.
getcalm.io name server ns2.digitalocean.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment